Eligibility & Prerequisites
- Completion of an associate degree (AS or AAS) from an accredited institution in nursing from a nursing program recognized by the University of Utah.
- Current, unencumbered license as an RN or successful completion of NCLEX within two months of starting RN-BS program.
- Completion of all general education requirements prior to starting the nursing program from a regionally accredited institution. Contact Academic Advising Center to verify completion of courses. Current U of U students can verify completion of general education requirements via My Degree Dashboard (formerly DARS) in CIS. Students with an AAS degree will likely have outstanding general education requirements and must review these requirements prior to applying to the program.
- Completion of nursing prerequisite courses from a regionally accredited institution with a grade of C or higher.
- Minimum 3.0 prerequisite cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
- Minimum 3.0 nursing program grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
Meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission to the RN-BS program.
Completion of all nursing prerequisite courses listed below is required prior to entry into the nursing program. An applicant can have up to three prerequisite courses not started or in-progress by the application deadline. All prerequisite courses must have a Grade of C or better. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit updated transcripts to ensure the review of the application.
- Principles of Biology
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Elementary Chemistry
- Nutrition Intervention
- Human Development: Lifespan
- Medical Microbiology
For the RN-BS Program, prerequisite courses do not expire.
All courses offered at in-state colleges and universities that have been approved are included in the course equivalency chart. If a course you have taken is not on this list or from an out-of-state institution, you may request a course or transcript evaluation. Course or transcript evaluations are not available 30 days prior to an application deadline. Please plan accordingly. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all prerequisites fulfill course requirements.
For course or transcript evaluations, please register on the Application Portal and select Request Transcript/Course Evaluation on the registration page. An email will be sent to you with a unique link to fill out a form.
Items you will need to include when submitting your request for transcript review:
- An unofficial transcript any school where you took courses that you want to be evaluated
- Syllabus for each course from when you took the class
- Link to the course description of the classes you are having reviewed
- List of courses you want to have considered
Please note your request could take up to three weeks for a response
Masters Program Prerequisites
Prerequisite courses require a B grade or better and may be completed during the admission process. We strongly recommend that, when possible, applicants have their prerequisite courses completed before applying to the program, or while they are in the application process. It is not recommended that you wait until the summer semester before you begin the program, if you are admitted.
Upper Division Physiology
If you graduated with your BS degree program in nursing over 5 years ago (counted back from the start of your graduate program) then you are required to take an upper division level* physiology course (e.g., NURS 5905 Clinical Physiology) prior to starting the graduate program.
If you graduated from
*Upper division level = 3000 or higher
Note: The College of Nursing offers an