Applicants will submit one application to be reviewed by the University of Utah Office of Graduate Admissions and the College of Nursing. Applicants must meet Graduate School and DNP Program minimum requirements. Admission to the DNP Program is limited and selective. Admission cannot be guaranteed to all individuals who meet the minimum requirements. Successful applications must be admitted by the both the Graduate School and the College of Nursing.
Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements set by the University of Utah Graduate School.
The following are the minimum requirements needed to apply for a DNP degree program at the College of Nursing;
- Submission of a completed College of Nursing Graduate Program Application by the January 15 deadline
- Evidence of completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from a regionally accredited university or college, and a nationally accredited nursing school from either 1) The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Accreditation (CCNE), or 2) The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
- Verification of licensure as an RN or APRN in at least one of the jurisdictions of National Council of State Boards of Nursing.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Preference is given to applicants with at least a year of labor and delivery nursing experience
Required Prerequisite Course
Prerequisite courses require a B grade or better and may be completed during the admission process. All prerequisite courses must be completed before beginning the program. If you take a course during the summer semester before beginning the program, it must be at the University of Utah.
Upper Division Physiology
- BS in Nursing graduates prior to 2012 must take this course
- BS in Nursing graduates 2012 or later who have not taken this course as part of the curriculum must take this course
- RN to BS graduates who did not take an upper division level course in physiology or pathophysiology are required to take this course
- Upper division level = 3000 or higher
- College of Nursing offers NURS 5905: Clinical Physiology offered Spring and Summer semesters
Prerequisite courses can be completed at the U of U as a Non-Degree Seeking Student. Click here for application instructions.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) REQUIRED for applicants with a cumulative GPA below 3.20 and score cannot be older than five years
English Proficiency Exams (TOEFL or IELTS only)
Evidence of English-language proficiency is required for applicants whose first language is not English. Applicants are required to submit results of either the Test of English Foreign Language or IELTS. Minimum score requirements for admission can be found at the University of Utah Office of Admissions.