Application & Admission
Applications are reviewed by both the University of Utah Office of Graduate Admissions and the College of Nursing. Successful applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements for, and be accepted by, both the graduate school and the College of Nursing.
Applications received after the DECEMBER 1 deadline will not be reviewed.
The College of Nursing strongly recommends that applicants first attend a College of Nursing Graduate Information Session before submitting their application.
Admission to the Master of Science (MS) program is limited and selective. The College of Nursing graduate programs admits students once a year. The following are minimum requirements needed to apply for the MS program:
- Completed application for graduate admission
- Transcripts from ANY and ALL colleges and universities attended, including the University of Utah, must be uploaded as part of the graduate application.
- Evidence of a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from a regionally accredited university or college, and a nationally accredited nursing school from either
- The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Accreditation (CCNE), or
- The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Verification of licensure as an RN or APRN in at least one of the jurisdictions of National Council of State Boards of Nursing.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae
- Three (3) professional references
- Professional goal statement
- Upper division physiology prerequisite
- International applicant requirements
Applicants should note that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the Master of Science in Nursing program. Applicants are evaluated with respect to university and departmental requirements and with respect to the pool of available applicants.
Prerequisite Course Requirement
Applicants must complete an upper division physiology course with a minimum B grade before beginning the MS program. The prerequisite course may be completed during the admission process. If the prerequisite is taken in the summer, applicants must enroll in NURS 5905 as a Non-Degree Seeking Student at the University of Utah to ensure a grade is posted before the fall semester begins.