Admissions & Application
The College of Nursing strongly recommends that applicants first attend a College of Nursing Graduate Information Session before submitting their application.
Other Important Information related to the MS Program:
- This program is designed specifically for individuals who have earned a baccalaureate degree in nursing and have a valid RN license.
- Consistent with University policy, students entering the MS must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Students will follow the regular University of Utah Graduate School application processes and deadlines.
Required Prerequisite Course
Prerequisite courses require a B grade or better and may be completed during the admission process. We strongly recommend that, when possible, applicants have their prerequisite courses completed before applying to the program, or while they are in the application process. It is not recommended that you wait until the summer semester before you begin the program, if you are admitted.
Upper Division Physiology
If you graduated with your BS degree program in nursing over 5 years ago (counted back from the start of your graduate program) then you are required to take an upper division level (3000 or higher) physiology course prior to starting the graduate program.
If you graduated from a RN-BS program and did not take an upper division level course in physiology or pathophysiology then you are required to take an upper division physiology course (e.g., NURS 5905 Clinical Physiology) prior to starting the graduate program.
Note: The College of Nursing offers an upper division level course, NURS 5905 Clinical Physiology (2 credits) to help applicants meet this requirement. NURS 5905 is an online course, offered Spring and Summer semesters, that provides a review of basic physiology of the major organ systems and an introduction to current advanced topics in physiology. Applicants who have not completed this prerequisite can apply to the graduate program while in the process of taking the prerequisite courses.
A complete application must be received by the deadline at 11:59 PM Mountain Time
- Fall semester deadline is January 15
The application portal is available approximately 90 days prior to each deadline.
Completed Application Includes
- Submitted application through ApplyYourself
- Nonrefundable application fee of $55 / $65 for international applicants
- Goal Statement/Statement of Intent
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions including University of Utah, concurrent enrollment, correspondence, and study abroad courses. Notation of accepted transfer credit does not replace the need for an unofficial transcript from the university from where credits were transferred
- Three letters of recommendation - recommendations are submitted through the online application system. Please have email addresses ready when completing the recommendation request
- Applications will only be reviewed if they are complete (including a minimum of three letters of recommendations) by the deadline and meet all eligibility requirements listed on the website