The post-APRN licensure certificates are for nurses who are certified in one area of advanced nursing practice and want to expand their area of advanced practice to another population. Students who fulfill the course and practicum requirements will be issued a certificate of completion of training, leading to eligibility to sit for national certification in a new area of care. We offer APRN certificates in the following four areas:
- Adult/Geron Acute Care NP
- Certified Nurse Midwifery
- Family NP
- Women's Health NP
- Psychiatric/Mental Health NP (pending approval)
In addition to holding a previous graduate degree and national certification in another population foci, students applying to these post-graduate certification programs must meet all University of Utah Graduate school requirements for admission, progression, and completion. Acceptance into any of the certificate programs is dependent on available space. The program of study will be individualized and variable for each student after a gap analysis has been conducted.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Post-Graduate APRN Certificate will:
- Integrate nursing science with knowledge from ethics, the biophysical, psychosocial, analytical, and organizational sciences to provide the basis for advanced nursing practice in the new population foci.
- Provide, manage and evaluate the care of individuals and populations using evidence-based concepts related to physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, as well as community, environmental, cultural and socioeconomic dimensions of health in the new population foci.
- Demonstrate advanced levels of clinical judgment and decision-making, and accountability in designing, delivering, and evaluating evidence-based care in the new population foci.
- Actively engage in interdisciplinary collaborations aimed at improving healthcare delivery and care coordination.
- Demonstrate professionalism and value lifelong learning.
- Meet the requirements for board certification eligibility in the new population foci.
Programs of Study
The program of study will be individualized and variable for each student after a gap analysis has been conducted. Each specialty director will work with their students to develop an individualized program of study.