Getting Ready to Apply
Our team helps you prepare to apply for the College of Nursing programs at the University of Utah.
Attend an Information Session
We recommend all applicants view our information session webinar (Prelicensure track only, online RN-BS track coming soon). We offer information sessions for both undergraduate and graduate applicants.
Review Undergraduate Prerequisite Courses
Prerequisite courses are evaluated in two steps:
- Five prerequisites are used to calculate the prerequisite cumulative GPA during the application process
- If admitted, all nine prerequisites must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- All courses must have a grade of C or higher
- All courses must be taken at a regionally accredited school
The following prerequisite courses must be completed with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply:
- General Biology (4 credit hours, including lab)
- General Chemistry (4-5 credit hours, including lab)
- U of U students are recommended to take CHEM 1130: Integrated Chemistry for Health Sciences
- Human Anatomy (3-4 credit hours, including lab)
- Human Physiology (3-4 credit hours, including lab)
- Statistics (3-4 credit hours)
The following four prerequisite courses, in addition to the five above, must be completed with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher prior to starting the program:
- Nutrition (3-4 credit hours)
- U of U students are required to take NUTR 3010: Nutrition Intervention
- Human Growth and Development: Lifespan (3 credit hours)
- U of U students are recommended to take NURS 2100: Human Development: A Lifespan Approach to Health
- Microbiology (3-4 credit hours, including lab)
- Pathophysiology (3-4 credit hours, including lab)
Review the Application Portal Overview
Let's make sure you are applying to the correct program. Watch this short tutorial.
Schedule an Appointment
Do you have additional questions after attending an Information Session? Schedule an appointment with a Program Manager.