- Completion of all general education requirements before starting the nursing program. Current U of U students can confirm completion of general education requirements via Degree Audit in CIS
- Minimum 3.0 mandatory prerequisite cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a scale of 4.0 (Biology, Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Chemistry and Statistics)
- Minimum 3.0 prerequisite cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a scale of 4.0 (All prerequisites completed at the time of application)
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a scale of 4.0 for all courses completed at ALL colleges/universities
- Eligibility: Our program is not an Accelerated BS as defined by the AACN where prior Bachelor's degree is required. It is a fast-track program that can be completed in as few as four consecutive semester and mimics other Accelerated BS in Nursing programs
- Before entering the program, you must be a degree-seeking student at the University of Utah in good-standing. Please work with the University of Utah Office of Admissions to complete the process properly
- Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee that an applicant will be admitted to the program.
Completion of all nine nursing prerequisite courses is required before entry into the program. All prerequisite courses must have a grade of C or better with a minimum 3.0 prerequisite cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a scale of 4.0. All nine prerequisite courses must be complete the semester prior to starting the program. Be aware that we only accept the most recent grade obtained.
- General Biology
- Human Anatomy*
- Human Physiology*
- Elementary Chemistry
- Nutrition Intervention
- Human Growth and Development: Lifespan
- Medical Microbiology
*Human Anatomy and Human Physiology have a seven-year time limit and must be repeated if taken over seven years before the application deadline.
- General Biology (4 credit hours, including lab)
- Elementary Chemistry (4-5 credit hours, including lab)
- U of U students are recommended to take CHEM 1130: Integrated Chemistry for Health Sciences
- Human Anatomy (4 credit hours, including lab)
- Human Physiology (4 credit hours, including lab)
- Statistics (3-4 credit hours)
These five nursing prerequisite courses and the corresponding labs must be complete and graded at the time of application. If these classes are not completed, your application will not be considered.
Before Starting the Program
- Nutrition (3-4 credit hours)
- U of U students are required to take NUTR 3010: Nutrition Intervention
- Human Growth and Development: Lifespan (3 credit hours)
- U of U students are recommended to take NURS 2100: Human Development: A Lifespan Approach to Health
- Microbiology (3-4 credit hours, including lab)
- Pathophysiology (3-4 credit hours, including lab)
These last four prerequisites must be in progress at time of application the semester prior to the cohort you are applying. The only exception to this is for those applying to the summer cohort (you can take any of these last four classes in the spring). If not already enrolled at the University of Utah, students must apply to main campus admissions. Applicant does not need to be admitted to main campus prior to submitting an application to the College of Nursing. However, applicants must be enrolled with main campus at the same time they are accepted/enrolled with the College of Nursing (example: if you are applying to the College of Nursing for the fall cohort, then you must be admitted by the main campus for the fall cohort)
All courses offered at in-state colleges and universities that have been approved are included in the course equivalency chart. If a class you have taken is not on this list or from an out of state institution, you may request a course or transcript evaluation. Course or transcript evaluations are not available 30 days before an application deadline; please plan accordingly. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all prerequisites fulfill course requirements.
Request for Course or Transcript Evaluation
Items you will need to include when submitting your request for transcript review:
- An unofficial transcript any school where you took courses that you want to be evaluated
- Syllabus for each course from when you took the class
- Link to the course description of the classes you are having reviewed
- List of courses you want to have considered