- Completion of an associate degree (AS or AAS) from an accredited institution in nursing from a nursing program recognized by the University of Utah.
- Current, unencumbered license as an RN or successful completion of NCLEX within two months of starting the RN to BS track.
- Completion of all general education requirements before starting the nursing program from a regionally accredited institution. Contact the Academic Advising Center to verify the completion of courses. Current U of U students can verify the completion of general education requirements via Degree Audit in CIS. Students with an AAS degree will likely have outstanding general education requirements and must review these requirements before applying to the program.
- Completion of nursing prerequisite courses from a regionally accredited institution with a grade of C or higher.
- Minimum 3.0 prerequisite grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
- Minimum 3.0 nursing program grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
Meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission to the RN to BS track.
Completion of all nursing prerequisite courses listed below is required before entry into the nursing program. An applicant can have up to three prerequisite courses not started or in-progress by the application deadline. All prerequisite courses must have a Grade of C or better. It is the applicant's responsibility to submit updated transcripts to ensure the review of the application. Be aware that we only accept the most recent grade obtained.
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Elementary Chemistry
- Nutrition Intervention
- Human Development: Lifespan
- Medical Microbiology
For the RN-BS Program, prerequisite courses do not expire.
All courses offered at in-state colleges and universities that have been approved are included in the course equivalency chart. If a course you have taken is not on this list or from an out-of-state institution, you may request a course or transcript evaluation. Course or transcript evaluations are not available 30 days before an application deadline. Please plan accordingly. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all prerequisites fulfill course requirements.
Request for Course or Transcript Evaluation
Items you will need to include when submitting your request for transcript review:
- An unofficial transcript from any school where you took courses that you want to be evaluated
- Syllabus for each course from when you took the class
- Link to the course description of the classes you are having reviewed
- List of courses you want to have considered
RN-BS Program Manager
Office of Student Services
Phone: (801) 587-3194
Questions about admissions?