Nursing Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Outreach
Message from Leadership
- Listen to CON faculty, staff, students, and alumni regarding topics such as, but not limited to, systemic racism, privilege, and white supremacy.
- Name systemic racism.
- Obtain feedback from students and alumni regarding the student experience and culture within the CON.
- Dialogue about racism as well as prejudice and bias directed at groups of people.
- Identify hiring, promotion, curriculum development, teaching, research, and patient care practices by which we perpetuate institutional racism or bias.
- Prioritize strategies to combat racism and bias.
- Explore options to serve diverse communities within the local area.
- Promote individual and collective accountability.
Interim Dean and Associate Professor
Associate Dean for Academic Programs
Nancy A. Allen PhD, ANP-BC, APRN
Associate Professor, College of Nursing
Chair, Diversity, Inclusion, and Outreach Committee
Marla J. De Jong, PhD, RN, CCNS, FAAN
Professor; Chair, Acute and Chronic Care Division
The College of Nursing welcomes and values diversity in students, faculty, and staff. We believe a diverse learning community brings greater respect, understanding, and appreciation of the richness of human differences. We create a diverse learning environment both in the classroom, and clinical setting through student networking and support groups, student recruitment and services, financial resources, community engaged learning, community partners, and diverse student clinical placement sites.
Our faculty and staff are committed to supporting students whose uniqueness may present particular challenges. We want to foster a safe learning environment for students where their unique, diverse backgrounds are appreciated, respected, and welcomed.